Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I Say Chips, You Say.....

DIP!  If you said salsa well then, shame on you! That just doesn't rhyme.  :)  Anyways I take a break from soups to give you this.

So with it being mid January, and with the fact that the super bowl is ALMOST here, I think it is time I share my most prized go to dip which I make up for every special occasion and most times for a “just because”  reason.  That reason is usually because I am craving it.    And thank goodness it is easy enough to make at any time the craving sneaks up on you.  You want to know what it is?  Of course, silly question. ………..It’s Hummus! 
I want you to forget all other hummuses you may have had in the past, or even made before and replace it with this one.  The most important thing you must know about hummus is, if it’s made with tahini paste it’s all wrong!  I mean, seriously, who goes out and buys a relatively expensive sauce that is rarely used in other recipes, just to make a simple bean dip?  If that’s your thing, than stop reading now. 
For my Easy PEAsy hummus you will need the following:

1 can chick peas (aka garbanzos beans)
4 table spoons olive oil
2 table spoons lemon juice (please don’t go out and buy lemons unless you have them, just use that amazing all ready squeezed stuff in the bottle)
1 large or 2 small cloves of garlic
Salt and pepper to taste, and make sure you tasete often while blending!
Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth and creamy.  Now here’s the only thing you have to think about while making it.  How tangy do you like dips?  I personally like mine with more lemon juice and less salt.  My sister likes a little tang, but she likes more salt which can draw out the flavor of the lemon juice.  If you plan on kissing your significant other at any time during the day/night, go lighter on the garlic.  If you want to ward of Edward and all things Twilight related, then go ahead and don’t be afraid to add more garlic.  (Ok so that was a bad attempt at a knock on Twilight, sorry to offend team Edward fans)  You really can’t mess up this dip unless at any point in time you have the top to the salt shaker fall off and end up with a half cup of salt in it.  Yes, I had that happen.) Be creative and experiment to find what tastes you like.


testing out my new Magic Bullet I got for Christmas!
(Notice the amount of liquid.)


Because you can’t have dip without something to dip into it, may I suggest the best thing ever.  Pita bread.  Nothing fancy and no presentation required.  I just take the bread, tear it into pieces and dip away.  If you want, buy toasted pita chips.  If you want something fresh and light I would do the celery and carrots thing.  Any veggie works.  OOOH and radishes are really good.  Sorry, Lays potato chips just don’t work. I’ve tried.  Too thin.  L 

YUM!


1 comment: