Tuesday, April 5, 2011

My Original White Italian Dish

So the concept for this dish had been in my head for a while ever since I noticed I had lots of cans of tuna in the pantry.  The past week I had been making noodle dishes and well, this just seemed like a perfect fit.  I was going to make angel hair with tuna.  But then I thought, I need a bit more protein.  What shall I do?  And the thought to add beans popped into mind.  So here is the outcome;  A very white looking Italian dish.

your spices





main ingredients-minus pasta

You will need
1 cup angel hair pasta cooked (no picture, so sorry)  ** reserve one cup of starchy cooking water!
1 can tuna drained
1 can great Northern Beans
4 tablespoons lemon juice (more optional)
2 teaspoons capers (totally optional, but a small jar is really worth the investment)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
½ cup chopped onion
1 small garlic clove chopped
Salt/pepper to taste.

Put a little extra virgin olive oil in the bottom of a pan and heat with onion and garlic.



Meanwhile cook pasta by adding 2 cups water to one cup pasta.  Angel hair takes about 6 minutes to cook, so it’s ok to cook about 4 minutes at a rolling boil and then turn off heat and leave in pot.

Add chopped onion and garlic and cook for a minute.

Rinse and drain can of beans and add to the oil. Cook until hot.

Add the garlic powder.  Then add the can of tuna drained and mix well.



Now add the lemon juice salt and pepper

Add the cooked pasta, drained, but one cup of cooking water set aside.  You will need this to loosen up the mixture should it become to think

Add t capers and mix in.  Now is the time to add the water if it is too gloppy. 


Capers are totally optional. Add more lemon juice and salt  to get the same results



Serve with a nice side salad.  This is one very filling meal packed with protien and carbs.  It can slo be cooked up in under 10 minutes.  REALLY!  I think I am putting Rachael Ray to shame.  Good as leftovers. Feedback is welcome!

Garnished with green onios. Also optional. Just for looks.




2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! But for once I don't have any tuna or beans on hand. You know, angel hair is our new favorite pasta since it cooks way quicker than spaghetti. Thanks for adding another angel hair pasta option to our menu. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just read this! Looks yummy. Will try with chicken, I think.

    ReplyDelete